So how do you configure Internet Explorer proxy server settings under Microsoft Windows XP or Vista operating systems? We use squid web proxy server to accelerate user experince. All versions of Microsoft Internet Explore can use a proxy server to connect to the Internet. Proxy server will not just speed up browsing but it will provide additional level of security between your computer and the internet.
Let us see how to configure MS-Internet Explorer to use a proxy server over a Local Area Network (LAN) connection. You need following information before configuring proxy server:
- Proxy Server IP address
- Proxy Server Port number
- Proxy server username and password (optional, but some organization use authentication to secure their server)
Internet Explorer proxy server settings
- Fire a web browser i.e. Open IE
- Click on the Tools menu
- Select Internet Options > Select Connections tab
Click LAN Settings
- Select “Use a proxy server for your LAN” check box
- Type the IP address of the proxy server (such as 192.168.1.254).
- Type the port number that is used by the proxy server for client connections (by default, 8080 or 3128).
- Select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box
- Click OK > OK to Close the Internet options
Now you can browser the Internet using proxy server.